All bloggers want to create a blog like WordPress, but unfortunately, they can’t because the blogging site doesn’t have a plugin. However, if you know HTML and CSS, you can of course play around with Blogger templates. Create beautiful blogs like other CMS like WordPress and Wix.
By default, bloggers have a date and .html in the post URL, which can only be removed by playing around with the HTML theme. Unlike WordPress, Blogger post URLs have an additional date format and a long permalink structure with .html at the end.
In general, I prefer short and clean URLs because they look professional and have a lot of SEO benefits. Many bloggers who host their site on Blogger.com want to avoid this date structure in their website post links.
However, the Blogger dashboard does not have any direct settings or customization to change the default structure of the website permalink. Just add the code to your theme file to remove the date from your website URL. And today exactly we will look at
How to remove date from blog post url
Why should I remove the date from the URL of my Blogger post?
1. Remove the date to give the URL a professional look:
Removing the date part of the URL gives it a professional WordPress-like look.
The benefits of easy-to-read professional URLs help clearly show what the actual post is and improve the user experience.
2. Removing the date will shorten the URL of the blog post:
You can reduce the actual length of the URL by removing the date from the URL. The shorter the URL, the better for users and Google.
A Backlink survey of 11.8 million Google search results found that short URLs helped rank articles slightly higher than long URLs.
It is also a good idea to use punctuation to create a “simple URL structure” and organize it for human readability.
Also, from an SEO perspective, we recommend keeping the URL under 75 characters. So nowadays most SEO plugins show URL length when writing a blog post.
3. Makes the URL more human-friendly:
The dates in the URL are numbered, and removing this date makes the URL easier for the user to read and remember.
4. Removing the date from the URL will improve the user experience:
Sharing a link to a social platform to increase traffic makes users more likely to click on a link that points to a posted topic.
You can see the location of the link because the topic is displayed in the URL.
However, if the URL contains mixed dates or characters, the user may have difficulty reading the entire URL.
Also, if the articles are out of date and dated earlier, the user will not click on them.
Ultimately, this compromises the overall user experience and reduces work performance.
5. Helps to improve search engine ranking:
Imagine Googling a topic and finding two related articles. One has a date in the URL (example.com/2021/04/post-title) and the other has just one keyword (example.com/article title).
Therefore, removing dates from URLs can significantly improve article CTR. And it can help your articles provide better search rankings in SERP.
6. Show the article to an evergreen tree:
According to experts, updating old articles and publishing them on new dates is one of the best SEO practices to improve your website’s SERP ranking.
Google loves the latest, most relevant, and hottest articles. Therefore, it is recommended to remove the date from the URL.
Also, removing the date from the URL makes it impossible for the user to determine the date the article was written.
However, if I do this trick in an old article, I get a 404 error for the old ULR, so I need to do some redirects.
Impact on blogging after removing dates from blogger post URLs:
1. All ranking articles lose traffic and SERP position:
Removing the URL of a blogger post is only useful if the blog is new to a blogger who has not published the blog post or what if some of your blog posts are already ranked by SERP?
Well, this can be a big concern for bloggers who have a well-established blog and are getting a lot of traffic from Google.
Changing the date of the URL here will have an immediate negative impact on the SEO of the article.
And this implementation can lose overall post traffic and SERP rankings.
2. I receive a 404 error on all published articles:
If you’ve already published an article on your blog, removing the date from the blogger’s post URL will display a 404 error for all published articles.
This happens because removing the date also changed the actual URL of the entire blog post.
In this situation, Google will not be able to get the old URL of the actual article.
As a result, the old blog post URL shows a “404 error”, which is a “page not found” error.
In such a scenario, the only way to correct all these 404 errors is to implement a “301 redirect”.
All 404 errors showing the URL should be redirected to the original URL. This can be a daunting task for bloggers.
And no blogger wants to face this problem in their blogging career.
3. Google takes its time to index blog posts with new URLs:
If you remove the date from the URL, the ranking articles will lose their SERP position as well.
You must then submit a new sitemap to Google Search Console to re-index your blog posts with the new URL.
However, this indexing process can be time-consuming because you configure redirects for all URLs and the sitemap is updated with the new URLs.
There is also a 301-redirect issue where Google will not crawl new URLs pointing to old URLs until the old ULR is crawled again.
The final solution to this problem is to upload a copy of the old sitemap with the new sitemap to Google Webmaster Tools.
This helps Google find redirects, index new URLs, and remove old URLs from SERP.
4. Removing dates can increase page load time:
It also increases the total loading time of your blog page because you have already set up multiple redirects.
This is because every time a user requests a URL, the server redirects from the old URL to the new one and responds.
Additionally, each redirect process takes a little longer to run, ultimately resulting in longer page load times.
Now you have read all the pros and cons that removing a date from a URL can lead to a blog.
It’s time to see what steps you need to take to implement your changes.
Step-by-step guide on how to remove dates from Blogger post URLs:
To remove the date from the URL of each post, you need to follow four easy steps:
- Login to your blogger account and go to the Themes section.
- Click the Edit HTML option under Personalization Options.
- Find the <head> tag in the HTML section of the theme.
If you do these steps correctly, all settings are complete.
However, it is a good idea to back up your blogger blog before going ahead and making changes to your blog backend.
If something goes wrong, the entire blog can be lost. In such cases, you can restore your blog to a previous version by uploading a backup.
Now let’s look at each step one by one using screenshots.
Step 1: log in to your Blogger dashboard and go to your topic:
First, you need to log into the blogger dashboard to remove the date from the blogger post URL. Sign in with the Gmail ID that you used to create your Blogger blog.
After logging into the Blogger dashboard, go to the Topics section of the left pane and click on it.
Step 2: Click Edit HTML, then click the Customize drop-down button:
Click on the Themes option and your browser will redirect you to the themes panel. Here you must first click on the Customize drop-down menu.
Click the Custom drop-down option to open the following pop-up window. Now you need to click on the Edit HTML option.
Step 3: find the <Head> tag in the theme’s HTML code:
You can click the Edit HTML option to go to the HTML encoding area, which is the actual backend of the Blogger theme, in your browser.
Then find the <head> tag as shown in the image. To search, use the computer shortcut ctrl + F and type <head> in the search box.
As shown in the image, the browser displays the <head> tag by displaying it in yellow.
// BloggerJS v0.3.1
// Copyright (c) 2017-2018 Kenny Cruz
// Licensed under the MIT License
Then paste the code just below the start <head> tag, as shown in the image.
Then go back to the blogger dashboard, go to the site, open the post, and check that the date in the URL was removed correctly.
What problems do you face after removing a date from a Blogger post URL?
Changing the permalink structure of a blog post can cause existing posts to get a 404 error. I’ve shown a workaround for that.
- If your blog is new and you have not published your post. That way, you will not face mistakes or problems.
- If you have published 2-5 posts etc, please replace those old posts (www.domain.com/2021/05/sample-post.html) with the new URL (www.domain.com/).) It needs to be redirected. Sample Post)
- If you have already published a lot of posts and good rankings on Serpe, we strongly recommend that you do not change the permalink / URL structure of your blog.
How do I set a custom post URL in Blogger?
- Go to the post and click Revert to Draft to compose the published post.
- On the right bar, under Publish Settings, click Permalink Options.
- Change the URL of the permalink according to your selection and click OK.
- Finally, if you republish the post, you will see that the post URL has changed.
How to get back to the default Blogger URL?
- Go to the topic section and click the triangular arrow in the drop-down menu
- Then click Restore. Here you need to upload the previously supported theme file before changing the URL structure changes. Finally, click on Save
- Another option is to remove the previously added code on the </ body> tag and save the theme.
Benefits of removing dates from Blogger post URLs:
- Google recommends using permanent links of less than 80 characters. Therefore, we will reduce the duration of SEO-friendly permalinks by removing the year, month, and .html extensions from the post URL.
- URLs appear short and professional to the average visitor.
- We know that users always prefer to read the latest updated articles. Therefore, if you remove the date of the permanent links of Blogger posts, the content will be always green. That is, the visitor cannot identify when the post was published. Again, this affects the Good (SEO) ranking of posts in Google search engine results.
Disadvantages of removing dates from Blogger post URLs:
- Removing dates from Blogger post URLs is only useful for bloggers who are just starting a new blog or who have not published many posts.
- However, if you have already published a few posts and have good search engine rankings, removing your blog postdate can affect your negative SEO rankings.
- After changing the URL structure, previous posts that are already indexed by Google will return a 404 error to the visitor. This can cause indexed posts to disappear from search engines for some time.
FAQ: How to Remove Date from Blog Post URL
1). What does a URL mean?
URL stands for Uniform Resource Locator. This means that when you visit a particular site, you enter a URL where you can find the web page for that site. Simply put, a URL is the exact web address of your website.
2). Need to remove a date from a blogger’s permalink?
Removing the date from the post URL is very important because it has several advantages from an SEO perspective. Removing dates from URLs makes URLs appear shorter and more professional, articles appear evergreen, improves user experience, CTR, and improves article ranking in SERP.
3). How do I change the default permalinks for blog posts to custom for bloggers?
To change your blog post’s default permalink to custom, follow these steps:
a. Login to your blogger dashboard and go to the posts section.
b. Open the article in a draft mode where you want to change the permalink.
c. In the right tray under Publish Settings, click the permalink.
d. Select the custom permalink radio button.
e. Edit the specified automatic permalink and add the one you want to use.
4). How do I change the permalink of a published post?
The only way to change the permalink of a published post for a blogger is to return the article to a draft. To return the published article to draft and change the permalink, follow these steps:
a. Login to your blogger account and go to the posts section.
b. Click the public article for which you want to change the permalink.
c. To do this, click the drop-down option under the Preview button and click Revert to Draft.
d. Click the permalink under “Publish Settings” in the right pane.
e. Use the custom permalink you want to attach to the article.
f. Click the Publish button to publish the URL to Google.
5). How do I remove the date and time from a Blogger post?
To remove the date and time from your Blogger posts, go to Lay-out in the Blogger dashboard and hit Edit in the Blog Posts section. Then uncheck the checkbox containing the date and time and hit Save.
6). How do I remove the date from the blogger post URL and create a WordPress-like permalink format?
To remove the date from the post URL, make a backup copy, change the permalink structure in WordPress settings, and create a redirect to allow users to access the new URL without any problem.
7). How do I change the URL of a blog post?
To change the URL of your blog post, follow these steps:
a. Login to your blogger account
b. Click Post on the Blogger dashboard.
c. Click New Post in the upper left.
d. Click the permanent link under “Publish Settings” on the right.
e. Select “Personalized Permalink”
f. Enter the URL to use
g. Click Finish
8). Why are short URLs important?
Short URLs look neat and are one of the factors that rank them on search engines like Google, Bing, and Yahoo!